Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Baby Read: It's a Book

This is the first picture book I bought for my little man when I was pregnant for him. I ran across it as I was going through the new picture books purchased by the library that month. The story features a jackass who keeps pestering a monkey about what that thing in his hand is (a book, obviously) and his assumption that it must be some kind of electronic device. Of course the monkey replies that no, it's a book.

It's a Book by Lane Smith calls attention to the fact that our children have so many more options when it comes to entertainment. Kids don't have to rely on just print books and toys, there's now iPhones, iPads, tablets, ereaders, laptops and a plethora of other devices and media competing for their attention. I'm in no way technophobic, but I can appreciate the exasperation of the monkey in this book. Getting this for the little one will give me an opportunity to talk to him about different kinds of media and the advantages and disadvantages of each type. Below is a book trailer for the book, but it essentially has all the text of the book. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment