Thursday, September 29, 2011

Essentials

In order to be an efficient reader as a mom you must have the following essentials:
I'm not from Austin, but I dig the look of this card!

A library card. People are always on the look out for free entertainment. Look no further, the public library has books, movies, cds, public computers, ebooks, programs (especially children's programs), and a team of people who are just dying to connect you to the resources you need. Here enters some bias, I am a librarian myself. But really, if you love to read books or watch movies then the library is a more cost effective way of pursuing those interests.

The next essential is only for those of use who have a smartphone, or an e-reader device:

This is the Overdrive App.

Overdrive is the software that allows libraries to checkout ebooks and audiobooks to its patrons. It will work with PCs, Macs, all ereading devices, smartphones, and mp3 players. Frequent users of this service will also be happy to note that digital libraries now play nice with Kindle devices.

Why am I plugging ebooks? Simple. The first couple of months of my sons life, I spent a lot of time rocking him to sleep. A book would have been too awkward to hold in one hand while also holding him, but my iPhone, fit nicely into my palm, and I usually had it nearby anyway to log his feedings or call my mom with a question. My iPhone also lets me read late at night when I'm up with my son without having to turn lights on and disturb my husband. I still read print books, still love the smelling and feeling of holding them in my hand, but if reading a book on a device is what I have to do to read a book conveniently sometimes, then that's what I'm going to do. 

Lastly, once you start reading books, you'll notice that over time you have a hard time remembering if you've read certain titles or only thought about reading them, and that entire plots of books will escape your brain. To counteract this:


This site just launched a reader's advisory feature that so far is pretty spot on.

Goodreads is a great place to log books you've read and books you want to read. Rate the books you've read, write up a quick review and magically you'll be able to at least remember having picked up the book at some point. It is also useful if you're stuck choosing which book you want to read next since you have access to user reviews, as well as the new reader's advisory feature. There are other websites like this out there, LibraryThing, Shelfari, but I enjoy the Goodreads interface. Also LibraryThing, while a great site, charges you after 200 books. This mom has over 500 books on her Goodreads and no money to spare, sorry LibraryThing.

Those are the bare essentials! Get reading!

http://www.goodreads.com/
http://www.overdrive.com/  (search for your local library)
AND GET A LIBRARY CARD! ONE FOR YOU AND ANOTHER FOR YOUR CHILDREN.

No comments:

Post a Comment